The Ammunition Factories
Within the context of the armament program, the Dynamit Nobel AG (DAG) and the Westfälisch-Anhaltische Sprengstoff AG (WASAG) started two factories at Herrenwald near Allendorf in the years of 1938 and 1939. The conditions for the decisionmaking of the location were camouflage, water resources, laborers, traffic service, and property to build air-raid shelters.
650 buildings were constructed on premises of about 1,000 hectares. The factories consisted of production-, nitric-acid- and manufacturing-plants as well as service utilities. Until 1945 the Allendorf factories produced and filled more than 125,000 tons of TNT (Trinitrotoluol) and about 30,000 tons of other explosive materials.